Tendulkar tells youngsters to resist lure of money

(Reuters) - Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar advised young cricketers on Friday to resist the lure of money and play the game in the cleanest possible way.

Tendulkar said money in cricket was not necessarily a bad thing but that it should not be the priority for a young player.

"The priority is to play cricket in the cleanest way and in the right spirit," Tendulkar told reporters after he was made an honorary Group Captain of the Indian Air Force.

Tendulkar's comments come in the wake of the Lord's spot-fixing scandal where Pakistani bowlers Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir were accused of bowling deliberate no-balls by arrangement.

The duo, along with captain Salman Butt, have been provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council.

Tendulkar said it was the love for the game that kept him going even after two decades in international cricket.

"When I started playing cricket I did not think of making money. I started playing cricket because I loved it and even today that is the case," he said.

"It's not about money. If I make more money and less runs, I would not be able to sleep at night. When I score runs, I sleep well at night."

Tendulkar also vouched for the commitment of his Indian team mates.

"I can stick out my neck and can tell you that players who play for India are committed, determined and always wanting to go out and give their best."

No comments

Powered by Blogger.